Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Big Star Live Part II. Frank from Memphis recently sent me a scan of a review of Big Star playing at the famous Rock Writers Convention from Phonograph Record magazine (thanks, Frank). I tried to track down any reviews of the gig while writing the book and came up short (this wasn't in the Ardent archives nor available through Rock's Back Pages). It's a long (and glowing) piece by Mike Saunders. Here's the partial set list based on Mike's account:

Feel (opener)
In The Street
My Life Is Right
Don't Lie To Me
When My Baby's Beside Me
[after "six or seven songs" Alex switched to acoustic]
Thirteen
Ballad of El Goodo
[after four acoustic songs Alex back to the Stratocaster]
rest of set included:
My Life Is Right (again)
Come On Now (Kinks)
Around and Around (Chuck Berry)
Slut
encore:
The Letter [Alex introduced as "This is a song you may remember..."]











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Bruce!
Great site, I'm on the hoffman forum and saw your link.
Any chance of posting or getting a copy of the review you mention? my email ( fernando DOT kral AT gmail DOT com).

Would love to read a review of a Big Star show when they were together.

keep the Big Star flag flying!!

cheers,
fernando